Desiccated coconut offers many benefits. It is a great source of healthy fats and as runners we rely on our fat stores for energy when we run out of our carbohydrate stores. Therefore desiccated coconut may be a great source providing us with more available energy. Desiccated coconut is also high in fibre and it also helps us with absorbing nutrients.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut for the filling (plus more desiccated coconut to sprinkle on at the end)
- 1/2 cup natvia
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate baking chocolate chips
- 75g butter
- 2 eggs
- Oil (to grease baking tray)
- Prepare baking tray by greasing with oil.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and stir well.
- Melt butter.
- Whisk eggs.
- Add butter and eggs to dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour mixture into prepared tray and smooth out.
- Sprinkle desiccated coconut over the top.
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Slice into squares and serve.